When data of customers are being processed through your website, an SSL certificate is indispensable. Open Web Creations can order and install this for your website.
What is SSL?
SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer and ensures that the data flow between the website and the visitor is not readable by others. Confidential information send to a website by customers (such as passwords, personal data or payment information) can be stolen. Hackers are becoming smarter; websites are copied which makes them appear as the right website but in reality you are on a forged website, as a result you provide sensitive information to criminals. SSL gives identity to a website.
How does a SSL certificate work?
The functioning of an SSL certificate is two-fold. First, the certificate is a way to show that the server is what it says it is. Secondly, all communication between the server and the user is encrypted, so it cannot be intercepted by malicious parties.
The benefits of SSL
The data flow between the website and the visitor is well protected and cannot be read by third parties;
- No more browser warnings for customers in case of a not trusted certificate;
- Security visible to customers by green address bar (EV certificate only), the 's' behind http, the lock in the browser and the logo of the certificate;
- Creates trust with customers: the website is reliable and the data of the visitors are protected;
- Confidence results in more traffic and transactions on the website. Studies have shown that the purchase of an SSL certificate can lead to 5% or more increase in turnover. An SSL certificate can therefore also be used as a marketing tool, because more website visitors provide more transactions and returning customers. This results in a stronger brand name and makes the investment definitely worth it!
Value for money
The difference in price and quality between the various SSL certificates occurs mainly in the validation process. Before an SSL certificate is issued, a validation takes place. This process has 3 levels:
- Extended Validation (EV): extended inspection in which the company is called to check if the person who requested the certificate is competent to do so. In addition, to ensure that the party is who he says he is (via Chamber of Commerce) and is entitled to the use of the domain name (through Whois).
- Organisation Validation (OV): check whether the party is who he says he is (through CoC) and is entitled to the domain name (through Whois).
- Domain Validation (DV): check whether the party is who he says he is (through CoC) and is entitled to the domain name (through Whois).
A certificate for every kind of website
Which certificate you need depends on your wishes/requirements. We will gladly advise you on which certificate is required for your website. Open Web Creations provides SSL certificates from the following suppliers:
- Symantec: leader in the field of SSL certificates and the most recognized worldwide.
- GeoTrust: leader in the field of SSL certificates and the most recognized worldwide.
- Thawte: One of the oldest providers of SSL certificates.
- Comodo: Fastest growing SSL issuer. Guarantee to deliver best price-quality ratio. Very wide product range.
- RapidSSL: Budget SSL certificate